BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Possum and Payton

Possum and Payton
I love my Bengals!

Friday, July 16, 2010

To Listen or Not to Listen...

In the beginning I had mixed feelings about listening to a topic rather than reading it. I’m very much a visual learner, but reading text books and articles can be difficult at times. I selected Ted Talks from our resource list and decided to listen to Carl Safina: The Oil Spills Unseen Culprit and Victims. It was very interesting to hear and I really enjoyed his lecture. At times it was hard for me to follow him because the examples he used were probably accompanied with visuals such as slides. However, I did like the fact I could pause the podcast if I needed too. The good thing about pausing was that I could reflect and what he was talking about. Also, if I found it more convenient to be listening to him and typing on my lap top to take notes as opposed to highlighting and scribbling notes on my textbook (which half the time didn’t make sense to me when I had to go back and reference them).

I do believe there are pros and cons to both reading and listening. As I said before, I’m a visual learner. I tend to rely on graphs and pictures when I read a text. It helps me to relate the ideas the author is trying to convey or get across. However, I often get tired when I read because usually I’m so relaxed. I usually read a book to go to sleep because it helps me to relax and wind down. Plus, if you have to read numerous chapters and pages in your text book it can be very overwhelming. I often find myself counting down the pages to the end of a chapter. It is like torture for me, but I know it is necessary.

With listening to a podcast I can hear someone speaking just like if I was in class listening to a lecture. I like the fact that I can pause the podcast when I need too or rewind if I missed something. Like I said before, I can take notes on my lap top if I need too. But the problem with podcasts is they lack the visual materials I feel I need to relate to the subject. Plus, you can’t see the professor giving the lecture.

With all of this being said, I feel I would rather listen to a podcast than read a text book. I know this goes against every fiber in my body since I feel I’m a visual learner, but I will need to adapt at some point. The way education is being taught now it wouldn’t surprise me if lectures were aired via podcasts. Plus, I think it would be helpful to the students who may be auditory learners. Right now they may feel they have to attend traditional schooling because they learn better by listening to a professor rather than reading a book. I think it would be great if online schools began to incorporate podcasts in their teaching criteria. I think it would help students learn to use their auditory skills rather than just their visual ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment